INSTITUTE OF BIO-SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
The Institute of Bio-science & Technology was started as a Faculty of Biotechnology under the aegis of Institute of Engineering & Technology in 2012. After two successful years it was elevated to Institute of Bio-science & Technology in 2014. Initially Faculty of Biotechnology started with B.Tech in Biotechnology (4-years) programs and subsequently it broadened into Institute of Bio-science and Technology with the courses: B.Tech (BT), M.Sc. (BT), and M.Tech (BT) with specialization in Bioprocess Engineering/Molecular Biology/Immunology.
Biotechnology will result only from integration of multiplicity of scientific disciplines and technologies, including Microbiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics, Chemistry, Chemical and Process Engineering, Metabolic Engineering and more recently a variety of -omics. Biotechnology employs both scientific and engineering principles with gainful considerations in developing and improving products and processes made from or for living systems.
The B.Tech program is generally offered to students having 12th either in Biology or Mathematics backgrounds. But M.Sc. and M.Tech programs are generally offered to students having B.Sc. or B.Tech degree in any of the contributing departments.
- Offering the students a good understanding of the basic principles of Biotechnology at the Molecular and Cellular levels, applicable to all living organisms.
- Making students appreciate that Biotechnology is a subject of central and practical importance, contributing to both basic and applied research in industry, medicine, agriculture, pharmacy, food technology, etc.
- Encouraging students to develop intellectual independence, critical thinking skills and versatility.
- Consolidate the student’s training in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Genetic engineering and other disciplines, as well as integrate the two to enhance a better understanding of Biotechnical principles.
- Develop the practical skills of students to enhance their observational skills and to use these skills for problem solving.